Year 2, First Day of School: Today is my daughter's first day of school, so I made her a special school supplies lunch complete with chalkboard sandwich, cheese pencil, watermelon erasers, and of course apples! I made the lunch in a Planetbox Rover and the note in the middle is from Lunchbox Love. I can't believe she is in 1st grade, the past year went by so fast. If you have kids you know you have to show up the first day with all the school supplies, so I wanted my daughter to be prepared. I hope the school year has started off well for you and your kids. We will be back on Monday so check in for a really fun lunch that my daughter and I came up with!
--Slice of watermelon cut up into squares
--Handful of dried apples
--1 serving of carrot sticks
--Handful of spinach
--1 stick of string cheese
--1 peanut butter and honey sandwich (or whatever type of sandwich your child likes)
--1 piece of white cheese
--1-2 pieces of nori (dried seaweed snack)
1) Place sandwich in container and put dried seaweed on top of it to make the chalkboard. Fill in space around it with baby carrots.
2) Cut numbers out of white cheese and place on top of the seaweed.
3) Arrange dried apples in a side dish. Put spinach in another side dish. Trim string cheese with a knife so that it makes a point. Dip the end in black food coloring and use a toothpick to draw the details as shown. Drop it on top of the spinach.
4) Take your watermelon squares and trim the edges at an angle to form an old school pink eraser shape. Place watermelon erasers in the last side dish.
5) If you want to add a finishing touch you can include a note from Lunchbox Love. I am giving away four volumes of them this week, so be sure and enter the giveaway HERE.