This is a sponsored post with Daiya Dairy-Free Slices. All opinions are my own.
Thankfully, we live in a time where kids with food allergies can have many more options at the grocery store than ever before. If you have read my lunch posts you know I love to use cheese in many of my lunches.
I recently discovered Daiya cheese slices. They are dairy free, gluten free, casein free, and can melt just like regular cheese. Best of all, my kids loved the taste of the slices. They are also widely available at many different grocery stores! Because of this, I used the Slices with all of my fun ideas below. Slices are definitely a great plant-based alternative for anyone who is dairy-intolerant, allergic, vegan, or simply looking to live more of a healthy lifestyle. You can find out more about Daiya on their website HERE.
1. Gluten-Free Football Sandwich
This is for your favorite little sports fan.
Ingredients: Daiya Provolone Style Slice, gluten free bread, humus.
1. Use a football shaped cookie cutter to shape two bread slices. Cut two thicker strips of Daiya slices and four thinner strips.
2. Spread a small amount of humus inside the football shaped bread. Place Daiya strips on top of sandwich as shown.
3. Finish with sides of Daiya Cheddar Style slice, cut into wedges, alongside slices of tomato.
2. Dairy-Free Sushi Roll Sandwich
Everything is more fun when it's in bite sized rolls!
Ingredients: Daiya Cheddar Style Slices, tortilla, turkey slices, lettuce, avocado slices.
1. Lay the tortilla flat. Layer lettuce leaves, Daiya Cheddar Style slices, turkey slices, and avocado slices. I did use turkey in mine but you can make this vegetarian by using a plant-based alternative or eliminating this ingredient altogether.
2. Roll the tortilla as tight as you possibly can. If you need to, hold together with one or two toothpicks. Use a sharp knife to cut 3/4 inch to 1 inch slices off of roll. Continue until entire roll is sliced.
3. Vegan Calzone Style Sandwich
Some families choose to go vegan because of food allergies, so this is for those kids that like their sandwiches hot and melty!
Ingredients: Daiya Provolone, Cheddar, or Swiss Style Slices, vegan ready-made pizza crust, sliced mushrooms, sliced black olives, vegan marinara sauce.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare pizza dough as directed on package. Break pizza dough into smaller balls. Either toss dough in air or roll into circles with rolling pin.
2. Layer desired Daiya slice, mushrooms, olives, and one more Daiya slice layer on dough. Feel free to mix the flavors! Fold dough over and pinch edges together, forming an enclosed sandwich with with fillings hidden in the middle. Press olives into dough forming the shape of a smiley face. You can also cut Cheddar Style slices in the shape of a smiley face and place on top of dough.
3. Place on cookie sheet and put in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Serve with a side of marinara dipping sauce. You can also place cool calzone in lunchbox and your child can reheat at school in a microwave. Slices are cheesier than ever and melt like real cheese!
As you can see, there are a number of options when it comes to making food allergy friendly sandwiches for your kids. I hope that I could inspire you to make lunch a little more fun and also check out Daiya Dairy-Free Slices!